Thursday, April 13, 2006

Fit To Participate In Cycling Races

I went for a 29 mile ride Wednesday after work. I tried to up the pace as I am trying to get in a good ride on Wednesdays going faster than normal. Going harder on a ride during the week will help me increase my overall speed on the long weekend rides. I also plan on doing some speed work later in my training schedule for this same purpose. Speed work consists of sprints and intervals mainly. I averaged 15.6 miles per hour yesterday. That is faster than I have been going but a little disappointing anyway. Given how hard I felt like I was going I expected a little more, but, I am getting older. About 10-12 years ago it seems like my brothers and I would go out on the first ride of the year and average 16mph and think that was bad. No question I am improving though. My weight, on the other hand, is not dropping fast enough. I am going to have to stop eating. I really don’t want to go into June needing to lose a bunch of weight.

I saw Alan Jackson on my ride yesterday. He is a big country music star for those who don’t know. I was riding by his huge house on Moran Rd. and he pulled out of the driveway in a convertible Bentley. It was a beautiful day for a drive in the country with the top down but I wonder if he gets it. There is just more of a visceral appeal to riding a bike on a day like yesterday. It was sunny and 75.

On the registration issue, our doctor is drafting the official letter stating my brother and I are “fit to participate in cycling races”. I should be able to fax this tonight and cement our entry. I sure hope it works out that way.

Speaking of the ride, I noticed from a story on the “Only 187 miles to go” blog that they have posted rider entry numbers and starting sections for those who have been accepted to ride. Robert and I are not listed yet but it will be neat to see where we start. I suspect the back. You can check our slot following these directions:

Go to http://www.letapedutour.com/ and make sure you're in the French version. Under "La liste des inscrits", enter the surname or a portion of it and it should produce a list.

Also, notice a couple of links I have added to stories from Etape participants.


Total mileage to date: 359
Total hours: 25.10
Current weight: 159 (goal 145)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home