Friday, April 21, 2006

500 Miles

I rolled over 500 miles in total training yesterday. I rode with my brother Robert through the park. This was my 4th consecutive day riding. My legs are pretty tired at this point and I am taking a much needed rest day today. I hope I didn't hold Robert up too much yesterday. He made a comment on the ride that on those few days when he does get out on the bike, he likes to get in some training (implying I was riding too slowly for him to get any exercise). I reminded Robert that, unlike him, I had ridden 4 days in a row and I was basically on a recovery ride. Even so, despite what Robert says on his blog, I have not yet matched him in fitness. I may have closed the gap, but it has been my experience through the years that Robert needs about 1/2 the training miles as I in order to have the same fitness. And, of course, he does not have the weight problem I have. He talks about wanting to lose weight for the Etape and I just laugh. Yeah, he might need to lose 8 or 10 ounces. He could skip a dinner and be at race weight. Sorry Robert, you don't know the meaning of needing to lose weight.

Tomorrow I plan to ride from 65-80 miles. I might go on a group ride with the Harpeth Bike Club; however, that involves driving for perhaps a 1.5 hour round trip to get to the start. Alternately, I can do 65 or 80 miles starting from home on very familiar routes mapped out many years ago. I can also start earlier and be done by noon if I go by myself. I think I might have just convinced myself to ride alone.

My assessment at this point? I feel like I am making good progress. I am getting more into the routine of training and I have become focused. I feel good about going 80 miles tomorrow. I weigh 156 which is only 11 pounds from my goal. It was only August of 2005 when I weighed in at my all time fat peak of 180. If I stick with my current plan, I will achieve 2200 miles by the end of my training and be lighter than I have been since 1994. In that year I did a 6 hour Bridge to Bridge. I don't expect to be in 1994 shape because that year I had been doing bike races and was better able to adapt to changing race speeds, intensities, etc. I am gaining confidence though. A month ago I wondered if I had enough time to reasonably get into shape for this. Today, I know I can if I stick to my plan and have the required amount of luck to keep me out of trouble or injury. After this week, there are 10 more good training weeks.

Total mileage to date: 504
Total hours: 34:24
Current weight: 156.4 (goal 145)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home