Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A new bike?

I emailed Cyclomundo a couple of days ago and asked if he knew anything about our re-submitted entries. He sent back a message and said we should see our names on the list in a few days. I hope that's true. Otherwise I will be forced to go back to eating pizzas as my bike hangs on the wall and collects dust. I should be able to gain weight fairly easily though and would expect to be back to 180 in about 2-3 months. And really that's too bad. I have made gains on my riding partners so far this year and no longer feel like I make everyone wait around for me. Robert is probably getting some exercise occasionally when he rides with me.

Oh, I have a new strategy on getting my bike ready for the ride. I don't have a triple chainring and I don't really want to spend the money to swap out components to get one. So, I am bidding on bikes on ebay. The idea is to buy a suitable bike with the proper gearing, ride it in France, and then resell it on ebay. I bid on a Trek 5200 but it went for too much and I lost. I am looking at others.

I signed up for the Cherohala Challenge last night. It is on June 17 and should be a good test before the Etape. It has some extended 9% grades and I should find out about gearing there. This ride could either give me big confidence or shatter what I have. Here is the description:

"115 miles going up the famous Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) and then coming back the scenic and seriously hilly Cherohala Skyway. Start at 900 feet elevation and peak at 5,300 feet. With the dreaded 'sawtooths' after the peak, total elevation gain is about 9,000 feet. Many downhill sections of both routes are technical and fast. And both routes are mostly in remote areas. ALL participants should be confident and capable bike handlers. Have a few centuries under your belt before tackling the 115-mile route. Otherwise, try the Metric Challenge on for size.
There are extended uphill sections of both the Challenge and Metric Challenge with an average 9% grade. Choose your gearing accordingly!!!
Temperatures at the peak elevation of the ride can be as much as 20 degrees cooler than at the start. Also, be prepared for variable weather conditions. This ride is held rain or shine. Helmets are required!"


Total mileage to date: 788
Total hours: 52:23
Current weight: 156.2 (goal 145)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home