Sunday, April 30, 2006

Rest Week

I rode 128 miles this week. This was a "rest week" in my periodization training plan. The idea is that I take it easier the 4th week and soak in the training I have done to this point.

The one big ride I did was on Saturday. I did a 78 mile ride with my brother Robert. We rode from my home in Nashville to Elkton, Kentucky and then to Trenton, Kentucky where my parents have a historic old home (Idlewild). Normally, a ride to Idlewild is a little difficult. It has several short steep little hills that always tend to leave me plenty tired. There are no big mountains but the number of little hills add up. Well, the ride Saturday was a relative breeze. And I do mean breeze. It seems we had a tail wind of about 20 mph the whole way up there. Sometimes we would be tooling along at 20mph and not even feel wind in our face. Traditionally, we were making pretty good time on this ride averaging 17.3 mph. I couldn't help but think, though, that I was not getting enough exercise for my big ride of the week. We also stopped to fuel up a couple of times and spent way too much time off the bike.

As we went on, the training ride seemed to degenerate into a sight seeing vacation ride. Robert had brought along a camera and stopped to take a picture of a "Not For Sale" sign on some land in an area where evidently quite a bit of development had been going on. We decided to take a few more pictures as the ride progressed and each time we spent too long standing around trying to take the perfect picture. I kept reminding myself, this was a rest week and I'll get in some good training next week. Maybe Robert will put the pictures on his blog or send them to me. We both think we need some pictures on our blog.

A couple of times we had to ask people directions to Elkton because Robert was unsure of the direction. He had previously ridden the roads from Guthrie/Tiny Town to Elkton but I had not. We stopped a Mennonite riding his Massey Ferguson tractor and he pointed the way one time. We flagged down a truck later and asked a couple. They gave us directions and then we discovered they they had both gone to high school with my mother. The man had been in my mom's class and the woman was a year behind them. Apparently, according to them, they had last seen us when we were little kids on vacation at Ken Lake maybe 35-40 years ago. They still knew our parents well and, in fact, called them at Idlewild to report on our progress before we got there. Both of my parents grew up in and around Elkton but they have lived in Nashville almost all of my life. I used to have grandparents in Elkton, but I have hardly spent any time there in the last 20 years.

So we talked to Johnny Bob and Nancy Power a few minutes and then left to find the Subway sandwich shop on the square in Elkton. There we ate an excellent roast beef sandwich and headed off again to complete the last 8 miles to Trenton where mom had a meal prepared for us. At Idlewild we ate steak, potato salad, fruit, and tea. By the way, did I mention that my diet is not going so well? It seems I can't stop eating.

No word on our Etape entry yet. Cyclomundo says no news is good news. They said our medical papers looked in good order to them. I still don't see our names on the Etape site.

Total mileage to date: 718
Total hours: 47:43
Current weight: too scared to look (goal 145)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home