Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bailed Out Saturday

I bailed out of my ride on Saturday after 61 miles. I didn't actually get on the road until 12:00. I was refitting the Lemond and installing my computer in the AM and didn't get in a hurry. I have to say, these long bike rides are like work to me. I really need to ride with a group or something. Saturday, I left planning to ride at least 80 miles, maybe 100 depending on how I felt. Well, after 2 hours I felt better than I had all year and then after 3 I was feeling weak. I stopped in Franklin and called a friend to pick me up. While I was waiting for him to pick me up I went ahead and finished off my food which I had been rationing on the ride. I felt much better in just a few minutes which lead me to believe I just had not eaten enough for the day. Even whenI stopped I knew I could make it the 20 miles back home after fueling up at a market. I think I was as mentally tired as I was physically. I just didn't want to ride anymore. So that caps off a week in which I only managed a little over 100 miles. I feel bad about it, but, now with only 6 weeks of training left I feel highly motivated again. Maybe I just needed time off the bike. This weekend is Memorial Day weekend and I have 3 days off work. Maybe I'll try to find an organized ride or maybe it will be another lone long distance ride.

On Monday I rode a full park ride of 18 miles and went harder than usual. Tuesday I took a very easy 27 miles and rode with my younger brother for a few miles. Wednesday I was planning to do a fast 50 miles after work but I only managed 40 and felt incredibly weak doing it.

I have been concentrating on eating better/less for several days and my weight has dropped significantly lately. The last 4 weigh-ins this week have been 153.6 154.4, 152.6, 151.2. No wonder I have been weak. I am simply not eating enough on or off rides to be strong. I won’t be riding Thursday or Friday much if at all. I am going to fuel up for a big weekend ride.

Robert is still exercising but not doing long bike rides. He tells me he gets his cast off on 05/30 and will evaluate his plan from there. He has hinted that he might not ride the Etape. I still think he has time to get ready. I mean, again, look at Ullrich. He was fat and out of shape a month ago and now he has won a time trial in the Giro and done very well climbing some mountains and is now firmly established as the favorite for the Tour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home